Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Making progress

Normally, if you asked me how school was going, I would hem and haw and say something like... "well, it is going good, it is just kindof hard to measure the progress since we do not sit down and do school".  Normally, we just kind of learn as we go... when something comes up, we learn about it, and if something does not come up then we work on manners or house keeping or cooking or any number of other things that just happen...

This year is a big leap for me. We have committed to do a curriculum. It is a WONDERFUL curriculum, but it is still books and lessons and stuff to do... every day...

As I mentioned in my last post (which was kindof sporadic, sorry I am still learning how to blog) yesterday was our official start day. Things went well with my third grader, but my 1st grader didn't even get to look at her work for the day. Today, we had to catch up. They both did SO well.... Rebekah does not read yet. She knows how... in that she recognizes the letters and knows their sounds. She can even blend them sometimes to make it sound like a word, but it is so hard for her. She just does not do it. That being said, she was writing today... sounding out the sounds as she went... That seems SO backwards to me!

Anyway, It was a good day... again... I am so blessed!
This is the mess of books that comes with our curriculum. Steven has still not found his place in the grand scheme of things. We tried to have him color, but he was adamant that he does not know how. (that is a bunch of phoey by the way...) so, he and mommy got to draw... that worked well.... we were illustrating a story and each of us "saw" and then drew something different. Here is the one that Steven and I did..

And my girls doing so well at self directing and following directions....


Ok, well, that is my update for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment