Thursday, January 8, 2009

Adoption Status

So we finally had our first interview/homestudy with the adoption social worker on Monday. (the last one was with the foster care social worker) She was here for 3 hours. (I did not expect that) I was just really glad that it was nap time. She was asking REALLY personal questions. I cannot imagine having had to answer them in while children interrupted and eves dropped.... Anyway... She had two main concerns... One- the bathroom in the back bedroom (the one that is now our toy room) is too "sterrile" Which from her discription I can only assume means too white... (It was a rental before us so everything is white). We need to decorate. She mentioned the HG channel which I have never heard of so then she mentioned magazines... At what point does wanting to give children a loving and safe home become trendy?!!!??? I was irritated.
Anyway, Two- there were two rooms that are really cluttered. They need to be kid ready. I told her that i could do that in a matter of days if someone would kindly tell me when it needs to be done. At this point we have been "preparing" for kids for MONTHS. and still no sign of when they are to arrive. So yes, the "spare" rooms are being used in the mean time. For instance one of them is called rhe junk room. It has things in it that either need to get taken up to the attic, or given away and I just havent found someone to take it.... So Christmas stuff, outgrown clothes and shoes, books that we don't need, things like that end up in there because it is a big empty room.... That will not cut it for licencing... And the other room is my bedroom where everything gets put... Clothes that need mending, all the stuff that needs to be labeled for JBF (the consignment sale that comes around twice a year) Wrapping paper..... on and on...
Well, yes those rooms need to get cleaned... no big deal. I know that and am SLOWLY working on it. But in the mean time, I still live here. I have 4 kids who live here. There are other things that get done cause they are on the top of the agenda... Bathing, laundry, homeschooling, food, dishes, vacuumeing, so on and so forth...
So I ask her if she can give me a honey do list so I can be working on it until the next time we meet so things can look better from her point of view. She says those rooms and the bathroom that I mentioned is really it, but I will look over the other list (that the first homestudy lady gave us) and try to update it for you. What has been done and what still need to get done.
So yesterday I got an email from her that says that the first homestudy list looks good and she wouldnt change it. (though more than half of that stuff is done and it NEVER mentioned the bathroom) So I should pull it back out agian and work from it. THEN... I got a second email from her stating that she had spoken with her supervisor and the homestudy will be discontinued until we can make the house more sutible for adopting.
I was SO irritated!!!  when she was here things looked good to have kids soon. Now we are not even on their radar anymore.... I don't get it.
Anyway, It sounds like I am a few boxes from the attic and a few coats of pait away from kids... But who knows what will change by the next time we meet with them...
Sorry to vent, but I seem to get irritated when I talk on this subject. Go figure. I love ya all and hope to hear from you soon...
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment